Important Updates from Gelson's President
April 8, 2020
Dear Valued Gelson’s Customers,
Following the recommendation of the CDC for the public to wear masks while outside, along with recent regulations in various communities in Southern California, we will enact mask requirements chain-wide at all Gelson’s stores beginning Friday, April 10. While we are providing extra pay and perks to our employees, we must also do everything we can to keep our employees safe as they continue to serve an essential function in the community. We recognize and thank both our employees and our customers for making sacrifices in their daily lives for the collective safety of our neighborhoods.
In this ever-changing environment, Gelson’s has taken many actions in response to the COVID-19 crisis. A summary of our current policies and business changes:
• Effective Friday, April 10, no one may enter Gelson’s without a mask or face covering. This includes employees, all shoppers, and vendors.
• No one may enter Gelson’s who is experiencing any symptoms of sickness. This includes fever, shortness of breath, cough, body aches, headache, and/or sore throat.
• The hour from 7 am – 8 am is reserved for seniors 60+, shoppers with disabilities, and those who care for them.
• Everyone is expected to practice social distancing (6 feet or more from others) wherever possible.
○ Please expect lines to enter our stores, as we continue to limit the number of shoppers in Gelson’s. Our doors are monitored throughout the day, and customers are expected to maintain a 6 foot distance while in line.
○ While shopping inside the store, please be aware of employees and other shoppers. If you need to pass someone in an aisle, please do so quickly. It’s always polite to let others know that you will be passing by.
○ Please do not block the aisle with your shopping cart. Keep your cart to one side of an aisle, in front of a section that others are not shopping.
○ Please do not put your phone near one of our employees to show them a picture of a product you want.
○ At checkout, follow the instructions of management and pay attention to the marks on the floor to maintain distancing.
• No returns are accepted, and no CRV containers are accepted, to protect our associates. Only glass milk bottles may be returned, as these are needed for the dairies to sanitize and reuse.
• No reusable bags are allowed in our stores. We are not charging for the plastic or paper bags we use.
• Product limits are currently in place on many high-demand items. This helps to better smooth availability to more customers.
• Employees are required to wash or sanitize their hands every hour. We make announcements reminding employees to protect themselves.
• We are cleaning and sanitizing high-touch areas frequently.
• Plexiglass shields are installed at checkstands to better protect our checkers. We ask that you stand behind those, and avoid getting close to the bagger/courtesy clerk or the checker. Please wait until the checker/courtesy clerk has finished bagging before you approach.
• All seating areas are closed, as well as all self-serve food areas. Our Kitchens, Bakeries, Sushi Counters, and Coffee Bars remain open for their usual take-away service.
• Stores have reduced hours; most close at 8 pm (Hollywood, Silver Lake/Los Feliz, and West Hollywood close at 9 pm).
For your own health, please be sure to wash your hands often with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds. Avoid touching your face; if you have a reusable/washable face mask, wash it as soon as you return home from an essential outing.
Thank you for allowing us to serve you.
President and CEO
Grateful to Serve our Communities