Old Fashioned Cocktail
September 14, 2018
One of the earliest American cocktails, the Old Fashioned is made by muddling bourbon, orange, bitters, and sugar with a tiny bit of water. We like this recipe for its exquisite balance: There’s just enough orange and sugar to bring out the sweet maple and caramel notes of the Knob Creek bourbon — and the aromatic spice of the bitters ties it all together.
Our tip: Splurge on the cherries. We recommend Luxardo the Original Maraschino Cherries, which are a classy dark, dark red and have a sweet, fruit-forward flavor that complements bourbon beautifully.
- 1 sugar cube
- 4 - 6 dashes of Angostura bitters
- 2 oz and a splash Knob Creek bourbon
- 1 orange slice
- Ice cube
- Orange peel
- Maraschino cherry
- Add the sugar cube, Angostura bitters, and a splash of bourbon to a glass. Crush the sugar cube with a muddler, and stir until all the sugar dissolves.
- Add a slice of orange and muddle, being careful to avoid the peel and pith.
- Add the ice and bourbon and stir for 30 – 60 seconds.
- Using a paring knife, cut a 1-inch x 1.5-inch piece of orange peel, wrap it around a cherry, and secure with a toothpick. Garnish your drink and enjoy!