Filet Mignon and Cherry-Balsamic Reduction
In a reduction, balsamic vinegar’s tang is heightened and it gains a deep, molasses sweetness. Here we’ve added dry red wine, savory shallots and garlic, and a mix of tart and jammy, sweet cherries, creating a wonderfully complex sauce. Dark and rich, it’s the perfect complement to a filet mignon.
Our Registered Dietitian, Jessica Siegel, recommends grass-fed beef because it’s more nutritious and leaner, so it cooks up unbelievably tender. It’s also rich in heart-healthy Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
1 Tbsp Napa Valley Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 medium Melissa's organic shallots, chopped
1 large clove Melissa's organic garlic, minced
⅓ cup dry red wine, such as red zinfandel
⅓ cup Napa Valley Naturals Organic Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tbsp Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves
1 cup Earthbound Farms organic frozen cherries
4 6-oz Gelson's Beef Loin Filet Mignon Steak
⅛ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat the broiler.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a small, heavy saucepan.
- Add the shallots and sauté until soft, but not brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the red wine, vinegar, preserves, and cherries. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring the sauce to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the sauce by half, about 10 to 12 minutes. It should have a thick, syrupy consistency.
- Pat the steaks dry with damp paper towels, and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Broil the steaks. For rare meat, cook the steaks to 120º on an instant-read thermometer, about 2 minutes a side. For medium-rare meat, cook them to 140º, about 2 ½ minutes on each side.
- Transfer the steaks to a serving platter and let them rest for 5 minutes. Pour the sauce into a gravy boat and pass it with the steaks.
Each steak with ¼-cup sauce contains:
- Calories 390
- Fat 13 g
- Saturated Fat 4 g
- Trans Fat 0 mg
- Cholesterol 90 mg
- Sodium 120 g
- Total Carbohydrate 22 g
- Dietary Fiber 1 g
- Sugars 18 g
- Protein 40 g
- Vitamin A 3% DV
- Vitamin C 2% DV
- Calcium 6% DV
- Iron 18% DV