Asparagus Breakfast Hash & Poached Eggs
Here we have crunchy bacon, crispy potatoes, sweet bell pepper, and soft onion sautéed up with a little garlic and chile pepper — and served with a perfectly poached egg on top. We like to break the creamy egg yolk over the warm hash, and then add a dash of hot sauce. Heavens, what a pleasant way to begin the day!
This one is for a late-breaking, lazy sort of a Sunday, when you’ve got friends in town and nowhere to be but home. Put out some pastries, get the coffee going, turn up the music, and start chopping!
Our tip: If ever there was a place for careful prep work, this is it! Yes, it’s only breakfast, but part of what makes hash so pleasing is the nice, uniform dice — you get a little of everything in every forkful. If your guests are likely to wake up hungry, you can prep your veggies and bake off the potatoes the night before, and it’ll all come together in a snap in the morning.
1 lb small Yukon Gold potatoes
2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
½ small yellow onion, diced
¼ bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch batons
6 strips bacon, diced
1 to 4 eggs (optional)
½ red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeño, sliced thin
1 garlic clove, sliced thin
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp chives, cut into 1-inch batons
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- On a sheet pan lined with a cooling rack, bake the potatoes for 35 to 45 minutes or until just fork tender.
- Allow the potatoes to cool, and then dice them into ½-inch pieces.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil to high heat, add the potatoes, and sauté until crisp on all sides. Remove the potatoes from the pan and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the bacon to the skillet, and cook until it’s brown and crisp and has rendered its fat, about 5 to 7 minutes. Strain off half the bacon fat and reserve the rest of it in the skillet.
- While the bacon is cooking, bring 4 cups of water to a simmer and poach your eggs. Once the eggs are done to your liking, remove them from the water bath with a slotted spoon and set them aside. Not sure how to poach an egg? Check out our fool-proof method.
- Add the onion, asparagus, and red bell pepper to the bacon skillet, and sauté them over medium heat until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Fold in the jalapeño pepper, garlic, and crispy potatoes and cook for 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper, top with poached eggs, garnish with fresh chives, and serve hot.