This cocktail’s purple hue and sweet blackberry flavor will appeal to mixologists who favor a show-stopping drink that goes down easy — in other words, plenty of booze, but not too stiff.
The heart of the drink is an ingenious blackberry syrup: Blackberries whirled up with simple syrup, who knew? It could be too sweet, so we added a little lime juice to give it brightness and depth, like you would a fruit pie. Those jammy flavors soften the tequila and triple sec, so that the overall impression is a perfectly ripe, slightly tipsy blackberry. It’s a refreshing break from citrus-forward margaritas, love them though we do.
Our tip: This cocktail is stunning and will be perfect for a Cinco de Mayo celebration with the S.O. It’ll also give your Taco Tuesday a Saturday night polish.
2 oz tequila
½ oz triple sec
1 oz blackberry syrup
1 oz lime juice
Lime wedges and remaining blackberries for garnish
Kosher salt for rimming the glass
- Pour enough salt onto a small plate to rim your margarita glass.
- Run a lime wedge along the rim of the margarita glass, and then dip the glass in salt.
- Fill a cocktail shaker ⅓ full of ice and add the tequila, triple sec, blackberry syrup, and lime juice. Shake it for 15 seconds, and then strain into the salt-rimmed glass.
- Garnish the glass with a lime wedge and blackberries — and enjoy!
4 oz simple syrup
4 oz blackberries
- Combine the blackberries and simple syrup in a blender, and whirl them up until liquified.
- Strain and reserve the liquid. Blackberry syrup will keep for one week in the fridge.