Cuban Flank Steak
In Cuba, there’s a simple condiment called mojo that is used as a marinade and a sauce — a spoonful of bright piquancy added to roasted vegetables at the end of cooking. Traditionally, it’s made with citrus, garlic, onions cumin, and oregano. We’ve added rum and cloves to our version, and the result is a marinade that’s bright and zingy with just a hint of sweet spice. The flavor is so fresh and it pairs beautifully with steak.
Our tip? Add some color and texture to your meal by serving it with cauliflower rice, black beans, red onions, fresh tomatoes, and avocado.
1 cup fresh orange juice (about 2 oranges)
½ cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp Napa Valley organic olive oil
2 Tbsp Myers's dark rum
4 Melissa's large shallots, minced
6 Melissa's organic garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ Tbsp fresh oregano, minced
4 dried whole cloves
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 ½ lb flank steak, trimmed
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Ziploc Gallon Storage Bags
Olive oil cooking spray
- Whisk together the juices, oil, rum, shallots, garlic, oregano, cloves, and cumin in a medium bowl.
- Rinse steak, pat dry, and trim off any excess fat. Place steak in a Ziploc bag, pour marinade, seal the bag, and then gently turn it to coat the steak.
- Refrigerate the steak for at least 12 hours or overnight, turning every few hours to make sure the marinade is evenly distributed.
- Remove steak from marinade, pat dry with paper towels, and season both sides with salt and pepper. Reserve the marinade.
- Spray a grill pan with olive oil spray and heat it to medium-high. Add the steak and sear for 5 – 7 minutes. Turn and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Pour marinade into the pan, and continue cooking. Tip: For a medium rare steak, remove the steak after 1 more minute, and let it rest for 10 minutes — it'll keep cooking as it rests.
- Continue cooking the marinade until it boils and thickens, scraping up the bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula. Don't let all the liquid evaporate. Remove from heat.
- Slice steak into 1/4-inch thick slices. Tip: Slice your flank steak against the grain, so every bite is soft and tender.
- Serve with citrus marinade reduction on top.
Each 3-ounce serving of cooked meat with sauce contains:
- Calories 300
- Fat 12 g
- Saturated Fat 5 g
- Cholesterol 54 mg
- Sodium 210 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13 g
- Dietary Fiber 1 g
- Sugars 1 g
- Protein 31 g
- Vitamin A 8% DV
- Vitamin C 66% DV
- Calcium 5% DV
- Iron 18% DV