5-step Sausage & Potato Foil Pack
Foil packs are a marvelous meal for all manner of outdoor occasions — like, ahem, Memorial Day weekend. You can toss the foil packs on the grill, bake them in the oven, or take them camping and cook them over the campfire. The best part? No dirty dishes!! With potatoes, carrots, onion, and sausage in herb oil, these are deeply satisfying and comforting. We use a whole kielbasa-style (read: giant) smoked sausage (read: already cooked), and it infuses all the tender veggies with its savory juices.
Here’s the recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Lightly spritz 4 18” sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine 3 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced, 1 large yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced, 14 oz smoked sausage, cut into ½” rounds, and 3 cups ⅛”-thick-sliced Yukon Gold potatoes.
3. Add 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 Tbsp chiffonaded fresh basil, 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, 2 grated garlic cloves, ¾ tsp chopped fresh thyme, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 1 tsp smoked paprika, ½ tsp kosher salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper to the bowl. Toss until well combined.
4. Divide the sausage and vegetables between the four foil sheets. Cut 4 Tbsp unsalted butter into 16 pieces, and divide them among the foil packs. Bring the short sides of the foil together in the middle and gently fold down. Then, roll up the ends to seal tightly.
5. Bake for 30 minutes and then carefully open 1 of the foil packs to let the steam out, and check the potatoes — they should be fork-tender. If not, reseal and bake for another 5 minutes. When the potatoes are done, garnish all the foil packs with chopped parsley, and enjoy hot.