Barbecue Jackfruit Pizza & Jalapeño Ranch (Vegan)
Here we’ve topped our phenomenal pizza crust with a tangy barbecue sauce, melty vegan cheese, shredded jackfruit, chunks of sweet pineapple, and a remarkably zingy jalapeño ranch sauce. When you bite into it, textures and flavors collide — it’s crisp and chewy, smooth and tangy, sweet and spicy, and so melt-in-your-mouth creamy. In other words, it’s deeply satisfying.
It’s easy to make, too, so it’s the kind of thing you could whip up for a last-minute game night dinner. Just want a snack? You could also slice it into squares and serve it as an appetizer.
Our tip: If you’re eating gluten-free, you could also pile all these yummy ingredients on a cauliflower crust. And, as long as you’re prepping barbecue jackfruit, make a little extra — it’s awesome on a slider bun!
1 pizza dough recipe, divided
12 oz shredded jackfruit, divided
14 Tbsp vegan barbecue sauce, divided
8 oz Miyoko’s vegan mozzarella, divided
¼ cup pineapple, diced small, divided
¼ cup red onion, julienned, divided
1 Tbsp roasted red pepper, diced small, divided
Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 500º and slide your pizza stone in the oven.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough into 2 8-inch circles about ¼-inch thick.
- Perforate the dough all over with a fork. The holes will help the steam escape, so you won’t get big bubbles in the crust, and it will bake more evenly.
- Slide the first crust onto the preheated pizza stone and cook it for 2 minutes, or until just firm.
- Remove the crust from the oven — leaving the pizza stone in place — and allow it to cool slightly.
- While it’s cooling, toss the shredded jackfruit with 3 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce and set it aside.
- Working from the center of the crust, spoon the remaining 4 tablespoons of barbecue sauce onto the pizza and spread it towards the edge of the crust.
- Distribute the jackfruit evenly over the pizza, and then add the other toppings in this order: 3 ounces of cheese, pineapple, onion, roasted red pepper, and remaining cheese.
- Slide the pizza back into the oven and bake it for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove it from oven and garnish with fresh cilantro and vegan jalapeño ranch (recipe below).
- Slice and serve, while the second pizza cooks.
1 cup vegan mayonnaise
1 Tbsp non-dairy milk
1 ½ tsp red wine vinegar
4 tsp jalapeño, seeded and minced
1 Tbsp parsley, minced
1 Tbsp dill, minced
1 Tbsp cilantro, minced
1 tsp chive, minced
1 clove garlic, grated
¼ tsp sweet paprika
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
- Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl until incorporated. Serve immediately.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to one week. Our tip: You can store the ranch sauce in a jar or, as we have done here, in a squeeze bottle. If you want to use a squeeze bottle, make sure you mince the ingredients very small.