One Pan Roasted Chicken, Sausage and Citrus
In this dish, tender chicken, andouille sausage, creamy baby potatoes, shallots, and pomegranate seeds are roasted together with an orange and a lemon. It’s remarkable for the fact that while all of the ingredients are redolent with the citrus and meat juices, they also retain their individual flavors — and cook to perfection. The chicken skin in particular is amazing: Lightly charred, crispy, and full of sweet spice. It makes a wonderful bite with the tender chicken and a few bright pomegranate seeds.
We especially love this dish because, while the ingredient list is long, the prep is so easy: everything gets layered into one pan. And yet, as humble a jumble as that sounds, it’s also a great one for a special supper. As it bakes it fills the house with citrus and herbs, and it’s quite stunning when it comes out of the oven — aromatic, full of color, and ready to please.
6 chicken thighs
1 lb cooked andouille sausage, sliced in ½-inch pieces
¼ cup honey
1 Tbsp garlic-chile sauce
1 orange, cut into 4 slices
1 lemon, cut into 4 slices
1 ½ lb baby potatoes (red or gold)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, peeled and quartered
8 sprigs fresh oregano, stemmed and chopped
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
¼ cup pomegranate seeds
¼ cup Italian parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400º degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the honey and chile sauce. Add the chicken thighs, toss, and set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine the andouille sausage, orange, lemon, potatoes, olive oil, shallots, oregano, and salt and pepper. Toss to incorporate, and transfer to a baking dish measuring 9 x 13 inches.
- Add the chicken to the baking dish, skin side up, and gently press it into sausage and potato mixture. Note: The skin should be exposed, so that it crisps up nicely in the oven.
- Bake for one hour, and then allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and parsley, and serve.