Shaved Asparagus & Prosciutto Salad with Blackberry Vinaigrette
Here’s a lovely spring salad made with crisp curlicues of asparagus and a handful of very sprightly greens. They’re so peppery and herby, they make a complementary backdrop for all the lush goodies we’ve sprinkled into them — sweet blueberries and shavings of nutty, salty Parm and wonderfully fatty prosciutto. Add a rich blackberry vinaigrette, and the whole thing tastes positively sumptuous.
SoCal is one of the few places where you can find locally grown, early asparagus — for us it’s a sign that spring has truly arrived. So this salad is perfect for the spring holidays. It’ll be lovely on a brunch buffet, and you could also pair it with a nice salmon steak for a luncheon or a light dinner.
Our tip: Don’t skip the step where you soak the asparagus shavings in ice water. That’s what gives them their delightful curl — and crisp texture!
½ bunch asparagus, trimmed
2 cups baby arugula
1 small bunch chives, cut into batons
2 oz prosciutto, shaved very thin
2 oz fresh blueberries
¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved, plus more for garnish
½ bunch watercress, stems trimmed
3 Tbsp blackberry vinaigrette
- Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Using a peeler, shave the asparagus spears lengthwise, and put the shavings in the ice water. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 1 hour — chilling will help keep the asparagus crisp and give it a lovely curl.
- Remove the asparagus from the ice water and dry it on a paper towel for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the baby arugula, chives, prosciutto, blueberries, and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese together. Add in asparagus and gently toss.
- Just before serving, add the watercress and vinaigrette and gently toss again. Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with more cheese. Serve immediately.
6 oz fresh blackberries
¼ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup olive oil
1 small shallot, minced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and emulsified.
- The vinaigrette will store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.