Strawberry Almond Cake
This is a very pretty little cake, with its toasted almonds and powdered sugar. It tastes delightful too. We love how the strawberries ooze into the tangy, sour cream batter as it bakes so that it tastes a bit like a fluffy strawberry shortcake. It’s springy and lightly sweet, the kind of a cake you can serve for afternoon tea — with no fear that guests will wander from the table in search of a quiet place to nap.
Indeed, this cake is so cheerful and easy to whip up that it’s perfect for all sorts of occasions, from Sunday brunch to book club luncheons, baby showers, and coffee with visiting dignitaries, such as your mother.
Our tip: you could substitute in whatever berry you have on hand, and it will taste just as wonderful.
1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
⅔ cup sugar
⅓ cup Daisy Sour Cream
¼ cup butter, softened
1 large egg
½ tsp almond extract
⅓ cup buttermilk
2 cups strawberries, quartered
¼ cup almonds, sliced
1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Heat the oven to 350º, and coat a 9-inch springform pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, sour cream, and butter at medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add the egg and almond extract and beat until well blended.
- On low speed, slowly add in the flour mixture until almost combined.
- Add the buttermilk and beat just until blended.
- Fold in 1 cup of the strawberries, and then pour the batter into the pan.
- Sprinkle the batter with the remaining strawberries and sliced almonds, and then slide it into the oven to bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until it’s golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, and then remove sides. Cool completely.
- Sprinkle with the powdered sugar before serving.
Recipe source: Daisy Brand