These rolls have all the tender noodles, creamy herbed ricotta, meaty red sauce, and melty mozzarella of a traditional lasagna — they just look more fun! The wavy noodles roll into little ruffled spirals, filled with all those good ingredients and perfectly portioned, so they’re really easy to serve.
The other thing we like here at Gelson's about this recipe at (that we don’t necessarily mention at the family dinner table, shhhh), is that there are some fresh mushrooms and zucchini secreted into the spirals for added nutrition and a pretty pop of green.
Our tip: Serve this one when you’ve got all the cousins or a sleepover at the house — it’s a people pleaser. Or, make a batch on Sunday night, when it’s just your family, so you can have awesome lunches all week long.
Ingredients You Will Need
Servings: up to 16
1 box wavy lasagna
1 jar marinara sauce
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, diced
2 small zucchini, diced
3 small portabella mushrooms, diced
1 lb Ricotta cheese
6 basil leaves
1 cup mozzarella, shredded
Salt and black pepper to taste
Directions for How to Make Lasagna Rolls
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, and then drain it, toss it with 1 tablespoon of olive, and lay it flat on a sheet pan.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, sauté the ground beef until it’s fully cooked.
- Add the sauce and a ½ cup water, bring it to a simmer, and remove it from the heat.
- In another skillet, sauté the onions in remaining olive oil for about 3-4 minutes, and then add the zucchini and mushrooms. Sauté for another 2 minutes until browned.
- In a large bowl, stir veggies into the ricotta cheese and fold in the eggs and basil.
- Spread filling onto the 16 lasagna sheets and roll them up.
- In the bottom of a baking dish measuring 9 x 13 inches, evenly spread 1 cup of the meat sauce.
- Add the lasagna rolls, cover with the remaining sauce and cheese, cover with foil, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is brown.
- Remove the lasagna from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.