One Pan Roasted Chicken, Sausage and Citrus
January 16, 2019
In this dish, tender chicken, andouille sausage, creamy baby potatoes, shallots, and pomegranate seeds are roasted together with an orange and a lemon. It’s remarkable for the fact that while all of the ingredients are redolent with the citrus and meat juices, they also retain their individual flavors — and cook to perfection. The chicken skin in particular is amazing: Lightly charred, crispy, and full of sweet spice. It makes a wonderful bite with the tender chicken and a few bright pomegranate seeds.
We especially love this dish because, while the ingredient list is long, the prep is so easy: everything gets layered into one pan. And yet, as humble a jumble as that sounds, it’s also a great one for a Sunday night supper with friends. As it bakes it fills the house with citrus and herbs, and it’s quite stunning when it comes out of the oven — aromatic, full of color, and ready to please.
6 chicken thighs
1 lb cooked andouille sausage, sliced in ½-inch pieces
¼ cup honey
1 Tbsp garlic-chile sauce
1 orange, cut into 4 slices
1 lemon, cut into 4 slices
1 ½ lb baby potatoes (red or gold)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, peeled and quartered
8 sprigs fresh oregano, stemmed and chopped
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
¼ cup pomegranate seeds
¼ cup Italian parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400º degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the honey and chile sauce. Add the chicken thighs, toss, and set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine the andouille sausage, orange, lemon, potatoes, olive oil, shallots, oregano, and salt and pepper. Toss to incorporate, and transfer to a baking dish measuring 9 x 13 inches.
- Add the chicken to the baking dish, skin side up, and gently press it into sausage and potato mixture. Note: The skin should be exposed, so that it crisps up nicely in the oven.
- Bake for one hour, and then allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and parsley, and serve.