Fresh and full of bright citrus, ceviche is the perfect dish for a hot summer evening, when no one wants to turn on the stove — it cooks itself in lime juice. Here’s our foolproof how-to for making a party-worthy, well-nigh addictive ceviche with confidence. Our serving suggestion? Pair it with ice cold Coronas!
1 lb peeled, deveined shrimp, chopped into ¼-inch pieces
6 – 8 limes, juiced
1 cucumber, seeded and diced
½ red onion, diced
2 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
¾ cup cilantro, chopped
½ orange, juiced
2 avocados, peeled and halved
Salt to taste
- Place shrimp in a glass bowl and add lime juice until the shrimp is completely covered.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours. Tip: when the shrimp are pink and slightly opaque, they’re ready to eat.
- While the shrimp are refrigerating, prep the cucumber, red onion, serrano peppers, half a cup of the cilantro, and orange juice. Tip: wear gloves while seeding and chopping the serrano — otherwise your hands will burn for hours!
- Drain the shrimp and add the prepped ingredients to the bowl. Mix together and add salt to taste.
- In a separate bowl, mash together the avocados and lime. Add salt to taste.
- Spread the mashed avocado on a tostada chip, add a spoonful of ceviche, and finish with cilantro and a squeeze of lime.